DR. GEORGIOS MIKELLIDES
Dr Georgios Mikellides is a fully London (UK) trained Consultant Psychiatrist who is currently working in Cyprus.
He has obtained the MRCPsych (Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists) and a CCT in General and Liaison Psychiatry.
He has been an Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer for Queen Mary Medical School (London) and he is also a Clinical Assistant Professor for St George’s Medical School University of London/ University of Nicosia. Also he was an Honorary Research Associate at the Institute of Psychiatry, Maudsley Hospital, King’s College Hospital, London.He has been also a Special Scientist at the University of Cyprus.
He has been certified by the Harvard and Maastricht Universities as a Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation practinioner and he is also a PhD Researcher at Maastricht University.
He also uses different Psychotherapeutic techniques , including Psychodynamic, Cognitive Behavioural , Cognitive Analytical and Mentalisation Based Therapies.
A Retrospective Naturalistic Study Comparing the Efficacy of Ketamine and Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for Treatment-Resistant Depression.
Front Psychiatry. 2022 Jan 13;12:784830. doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2021.784830. eCollection 2021.PMID: 35095600 Free PMC article.
Mikellides, G., Michael, P., Gregoriou, A., Schuhmann, T. & Sack, A. T., 16 Nov 2021, (E-pub ahead of print) In: Case Reports in Neurology.
Kyriazis, M., Mikellides, G., Pantelidakis, H., Polycarpou, M. & Panayiotou, B., 2 Aug 2021, In: Frontiers in medicine. 8, 4 p., 717692.
Mikellides, G., Michael, P., Schuhmann, T. & Sack, A. T., 28 Oct 2021, In: Case Reports in Neurology. 13, 3, p. 584-590 7 p.
Consultant Psychiatrist/Director at the Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Centre (Cyprus rTMS)
Honorary Assistant Professor at St George’s, University of London/ University of Nicosia
May 2015 – Present
Memory Clinic Latsia
Athalassa Mental Health Hospital
Drug and Alcohol Services
Outpatient Clinic Nicosia-Larnaca
Cyprus Mental Health Services
February 2015- December 2018
Honorary Clinical Lecturer at Barts and The London, Queen Mary’s School of Medicine and Dentistry
May 2013 – April 2016
Specialty Registrar Psychiatry ST4-6 at East London NHS Foundation Trust Court Diversion Scheme, Thames Magistrate’s Court
February 2012 – August 2014
Locum Consultant Psychiatrist at North East London NHS Foundation Trust
November 2014 – February 2015
ST6 in Psychiatry at North East London NHS Foundation Trust
August 2014 – February 2015
Acting up Consultant Psychiatrist Psychological Medicine RAID at Newham University Hospital NHS Trust
July 2014 – August 2014
Honorary Observer at University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Queen Square, National UK Centre
May 2014 – August 2014
Speciality Registrar CT1-3 at East London NHS Foundation Trust
August 2008 – February 2012
General Adult Psychiatry (Inpatients/Outpatients)
Old age liaison/Old age (Dementia Assessment Unit)
Liaison Psychiatry(Royal London Hospital)
Home Treatment Team (Hackney)
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (North London)
Forensic Psychiatry (East London)
Psychotherapy(Therapeutic Community/ MBT/CBT/Psychodynamic)
Honorary Research Associate at Institute of Psychiatry, Maudsley Hospital, King’s College Hospital, London ,UK
January 2008 – January 2010
Foundation House Officer at King’s College Hospital, London
August 2007 – August 2008
Charles University in Prague
General Medicine (MD) 2001-2007
During my Liaison Psychiatry work:
Provided liaison psychiatric assessments and treatments to this district general hospital’s ethnically diverse population, serving one of the most deprived boroughs in England – with an official population of 1/3 million. 60,000 patients attend NUH A&E each year, with monthly average 220 mental health assessments in A&E, 160 substances only and 60 inpatient referrals. Newham is both the poorest and youngest London borough with London’s highest levels of HIV and TB infection, diabetes and alcohol-related admissions. Weekly general outpatients clinic/medically unexplained symptoms clinic. Other referrals comprise self-harm, neurological (stroke unit), cancer & cardio-respiratory patients.
My team (Newham Psychiatry Liaison Team) was nominated in 2013 as the team of the year by the East London NHS Foundation Trust.
Honorary Research Associate at Institute of Psychiatry 2008-2010
- “An evaluation of the effectiveness of a liaison psychiatric service integrated into a diabetes clinic.” Retrospective case-control study, Institute of Psychiatry.
- I collected data from case notes, including socio-demographic details, type of diabetes mellitus and HbA1c, over a 12 month period. Our results demonstrated that a liaison psychiatry service integrated into a diabetes clinic is associated with improved glycaemic control in people with problematic diabetes and concomitant psychiatric morbidity.
- Conducted and presented the study: ”Self-harm in people under eighteen in City and Hackney”. The results elucidated a number of interesting findings including: demographic information, previous contact with mental health services, the method of self-harm used and the adherence of management to NICE guidelines. The data were presented as a poster at the Liaison Psychiatry and Psychotherapy Conference in Glasgow and published in the Faculty’s Newsletter (May 2011).
- Worked with Dr Peter McCrae and Dr Susham Gupta had prepared a review on Community Treatment Orders. Findings were that “Community Treatment Orders is a common practice now in England and Wales and their effectiveness not supported by research evidence. There are potential clinical factors that could hamper the effect delivery of CTOs and explain the gap between the research findings and clinical practice. It is premature to suggest that these orders are not effective and the time is now ripe for a proper debate on this issue to guide clinical practice and ensure patients’ rights are maintained”.
- Worked with Dr Norman Poole on a review on Capgra’s syndrome.
- Presented in Grand Round at Kings College Hospital a surgical case in 2008.
- Presented at Journal Club City and Hackney October 2008.
- Presented a case of autokabalesis at Mile End Hospital January 2010.
- Presented at Journal Club Mile End Hospital Sep 2009
- Autumn 2009 Meeting of the Association of British Clinical Diabetologists
Provision of a dedicated diabetes psychiatry service is associated with significant improvements in glycaemic control and psychological outcome among attendees
- Case Presentation ‘’A serious suicide attempt causing brain damage’’ City and Hackney.
- An Evaluation of the Effectiveness of an Integrated Diabetes and Mental Health Service.
P.P Ramanuj, J. Valka*, G. Mikellides†, D. Hopkins‡, R. Malik‡ and K. Ismail§
Department of Psychological Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry; King’s College London,
- Self-Harm in people under 18 in City and Hackney service meeting of CAMHS in City and Hackney
- MARCH 2011 Self Harm in people under 18 in City and Hackney, poster presentation at the Annual meeting of Liaison and psychotherapy faculties of the Royal college of Psychiatrists
- Regional Poster Presentation: RCPsych South Eastern Division, 2011 – awarded 1st prize. “Delivering expert psychological care: A retrospective analysis of its effectiveness in improving diabetes and mental health outcomes.” Co-author, I collected the data and contributed in formulating the study for publication.
- Presented a case in Royal Society of Medicine, BME meeting October 2013.
- Medication Audit presentation Monthly meeting Tower Hamlets Centre for Mental Health June 2013
- Medication Audit presentation Service Meeting, Isle of Dogs CMHT, June 2013
- Chairing Journal club Tower Hamlets Centre for Mental Health July 2013
- Chairing Journal club Newham Centre for Mental Health September 2013
- Chairing Case Presentation Newham Centre for Mental Health October 2013
- Presented at the Grand Round at Newham University Hospital June 2014.
- Presented various presentations during my work in Cyprus Mental Health Services Feb 2015-present
- Presented rTMS in TEPAK
- Presented rTMS in Pancyprian Psychiatric Conference 2018
- Special Scientist at the University of Cyprus 2017-
- Honorary Assistant Professor 2015 St George’s Medical School, University of London/ University of Nicosia
- Honorary Clinical Lecturer 2013- Barts & The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary, University of London
I greatly value the importance of teaching colleagues and students in order to impart knowledge and inspire the next generation of psychiatrists. I have received excellent verbal and written feedback.
I possess excellent management and leadership skills. Whilst serving as a military Officer in Cyprus, I demonstrated my ability to successfully lead and manage a team. I have demonstrated clinical Leadership by “acting up” to lead ward rounds on behalf of my consultants and during my on call commitments, receiving positive feedback.
As the Trainee Representative at the Royal London and Mile End hospitals, I demonstrated organizational leadership and management skills. I attended training committee meetings and participated in discussions to improve the local MRCPsych course. I oversaw junior medical cover for three sites, devising and implementing the on-call rota. I contributed substantially to the service working group and the future of rota development by devising a ‘’blueprint’’ for the subsequent year. I received excellent feedback on this role from my colleagues.
I appreciate the value of a multidisciplinary team which provides a variety of expertise and skilled contributions, aimed at providing a positive outcome for the patient. During my ST4-5 placement in Isle of Dogs CMHT my consultant left for another post and I was leading the team under the supervision of the clinical director and I also received excellent feedback from the team.
I have also led patient’s discussion forums and co-facilitated creative groups.
I was the ST4-6 representative Royal London and Mile End hospitals August 2012-2013. I have attended meeting and discussions around invitation for tender for the Newham Drug and alcohol services. I was involved in the preparation for the invitation for tender for the drug and alcohol service for Richmond (discussing care pathways, bidding process, attending meetings, liaising with managers and preparing for the application process). I have been a member of the working hours’ group in the Trust, discussing issues around working conditions/hours. I have attended a meeting held by the Quality Assurance visit from the Medical School at Mile End Hospital (Queen Mary University). I took part in the Liaison nurses’ (band 6-7) selection process (being on the panel/ discussion groups/marked tests) for the RAID for Newham/Homerton University Hospitals.
I helped in the service development for the Court Diversion Scheme, organised IT support for the team at Thame’s Magistrates Court following discussions with the Tower Hamlet’s Clinical Director, attended interagency meetings and steering groups for an alternative to the custodial sentence for the women project and received excellent feedback from the clinical director.
I have also completed a Leadership and management course.
I was in charge of an acute admission male ward in Nicosia which accepts patients from all over Cyprus with different mental health problems such as psychosis, alcohol and drug misuse, personality and affective disorders. I also helped in the development of the Psychiatric department in the Central Prison in Cyprus.
I was the chair and facilitator for the mental health awareness week in Cyprus for the 2015 and 2016.
Also I am a member of the National Cyprus Committee on Alzheimer and a member of the executive committee of Cyprus Psychiatric Association. As part of my job I join and at times lead committees in different times according to the needs of Cyprus Mental Health Services.
Currently working as a Consultant Psychiatrist at the Centre for Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation rTMS and also working in the Cyprus Mental Health Services in Outpatient Clinics and Addictions.
UEMS Cyprus representative
European Councils meetings on Dementia -Representing Cyprus
Psychiatric National Association executive board member 2016-2018